Android XML Adventure – What is the “Thing” called XML?
Currently I’m working on XML Data Storage for Android Application. It’s quite interesting! So I’ve thought to make it into series.
– What is the thing called XML?
Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a set of rules for encoding documents in machine-readable form. It is defined in the XML 1.0 Specification produced by the W3C, and several other related specifications, all gratis open standards.
The design goals of XML emphasize simplicity, generality, and usability over the Internet. It is a textual data format with strong support via Unicode for the languages of the world. Although the design of XML focuses on documents, it is widely used for the representation of arbitrary data structures, for example in web services.
As of 2009[update], hundreds of XML-based languages have been developed, including RSS, Atom, SOAP, and XHTML. XML-based formats have become the default for most office-productivity tools, including Microsoft Office (Office Open XML), OpenOffice.org (OpenDocument), and Apple‘s iWork.
(Quoted from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML)
– As you see that, XML is really useful and applicable everywhere throughout the Internet nowadays, and you’d better know more about it.
– In Android, XML is used for resource planning like layout, strings (localization), … or the pre-defined SharedPreferences, or to be used as custom database…
– In this series “Android XML Adventure“, I will talk to you about the way how we can handle XML file in Android.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What is the “Thing” called XML?
- Parsing XML Data w/ SAXParser
- Parsing XML Data w/ DOMParser
- Parsing XML Data w/ XMLPullParser
- Create & Write XML Data
- Compare: XML Parsers
- Parsing XML using XPath
- Parsing HTML using HtmlCleaner
- Parsing HTML using JSoup
- Sample Project 1: RSS Parser – using SAXParser
- Sample Project 1: RSS Parser – using DOM Parser
- Sample Project 1: RSS Parser – using XMLPullParser
- Sample Project 2: HTML Parser – using HtmlCleaner
- Sample Project 2: HTML Parser – using JSoup
- Finalization on the “Thing” called XML!
Be await for me, this series will make you fall in love XML for real 🙂